Mechanical Design Engineer
Our client is a Global Organisation with a turnover in excess of $1 billion worldwide, and around 3600 employees, they are now moving into a new phase of their growth within the UK.
They have an exciting investment programme to grow, building on the success of their industrial business, they are now moving forward to take their exciting products into the retail, hospitality and logistics sectors and expanding their presence in the UK market. Their team are based on their site near Cambridge.
Reporting to their Technical Manager, your job function will include designing mechanical components, devices, assemblies, and products, ensuring functional and budgetary requirements are met.
The Mechanical Design Engineer performs the major functions listed below. The position may require additional duties/responsibilities that may not be outlined below, and specific functions are subject to change.
- Assessing project requirements
- Undertaking relevant research
- Analysing and interpreting technical data
- Measuring the performance of mechanical components, devices and assemblies
- Producing and implementing new designs and test procedures
- Ensure all design documentation is accurate and maintain component drawings and specification sheets
- Testing, evaluating, modifying and re-testing products
- Ensuring designs, components, devices and products comply with all relevant standards
- Carry out risk assessments and associated documentation on new and existing products
- Ensure designs and documentation are delivered within the defined timescales
- Using computer aided design/modelling and drawing software
- Compose and maintain product BoMs (Bill of Materials)
- Ensure components, assemblies and products meet functional and quality requirements
- Liaising with suppliers
- Presenting new designs and concepts, writing reports and documentation
- Provide technical advice when required to other members of the business, this may include composing drawings and documents
- Follow all company process’ and procedures, follow safe working practises
- Vigilant and proactive in the workplace, undertake additional tasks and responsibilities as may be reasonably expected of the role and as necessary, in order to achieve the objectives of the technical team and business goals
- Ideally someone who has worked with AutoDesk, Inventor or Solidworks and CAD Software
- Experience of CNC machining
- Experience of sheet metal and the manufacturing process. If you have worked with lathes or Milling machines, then this would be desirable.
- Desirable would be an individual from a machine building company or, conveying or weight machines with a background in Motor Driven Systems.
- Understanding of Process and Process Driven methodology.